Friday, October 14, 2011

(49) Full Circle

The other day I was surprised, in that Google was advertising "my"
E-Book, available for sale on Google or Amazon. I didn't even know
that I had an E-Book. As it turned out, it's a thesis I wrote at
Georgetown back in 1990--and the university was listed as the
publisher. I'm thinking that perhaps universities are sifting through
old theses, deciding to sell some on the E-market.

Anyway, I dusted off my old thesis in order to find anything that might
be embarrassing after 21 years since writing it. Fortunately, nope!

What interested me was that what I said in this thesis--"The Play of
the Cosmic Process: A Synthesis of Teilhard's Cosmogenesis and
Bohm's Theory of the Implicate Order"--pretty much described my
bent of thinking over the long period since I wrote it.

It's *cosmic* oriented, and recently I listed myself on Facebook as
being prone towards "Cosmic Theism." Just about all my essays
and stories I've written--since probably 1998--are pretty much
cosmically oriented. Basically, whether its the Perennial Philosophy,
the Logos-Pneuma, or the Pantocrator coupled with the Holy Spirit,
these approaches are all speaking of the same thing, just trying
to explain the Mystery that stands behind the universe and all of
existence.

So I have come "full circle," not really much deviating from my days
back during my studies at Georgetown. The thesis is also a study
in modeling, a systems philosophy approach, evolving a second
tier model out of first tier models--in this case those of Teilhard de
Chardin and David Bohm.

Interestingly, though coming from different milieux as well as
different perspectives, Teilhard and Bohm theoretically declare
that there's a "Within" to our universe, or an "Inner Lining" to our
outer universe. Bohm was one of the leading quantum physicists
of the 20th century and Teilhard--a Jesuit--was a well respected
geologist and paleontologist during the forepart of the 20th century,

They both also believe that the "Within" or Bohm's "Holomovement"
are intimately connected with our explicate or outer universe. This
connection is like a feedback cycle, in that *Information* is enfolded
in the Within, but such is thrust out into the Explicate Order, where
through insight, intuition, greater levels of consciousness, we
sentient beings might pick-up this Information and make something
out of it. And as we evolve, building-up via research, new approaches,
developing a Noosphere, our learning and accomplishments are
fed back to the "Within," which somehow is evolving as well.

Unfortunately, as both Teilhard and Bohm attest, we humans are
a long way off when it comes to grasping this "connection." But it's
there, always present, waiting, hopefully not being ignored or
wasted. Of course the universe is a rather large place, so Sentience
is surely everywhere, coming eventually to terms with this special
connection. And those who are at the cusp of such connection,
and can't somehow connect because of *Ignorance* or refusal,
Evolution has a propensity to replace such with ever rising new
species that reflect Sentience.

At least I am glad, coming to realize that I have come Full Circle
over the years. I'll just keep plugging along.